Wednesday, July 19, 2023

...7.19...W.I.P. Wednesday...from the hotel...

...I think I mentioned that Our Airman is here in the States for some training...so we had the daytime pretty much to ourselves while he is in class...so I spent some time just watching YouTube...knitting vids...HA!

...and I used a bowl from the cupboard to hold my yarn...it worked really well...
...and knitting away on the bolero...

...this pattern...Paloma...is..ummm...not the best pattern I've ever used...for one thing (ha) it just gives you one side of the instructions...so for the second side you just have to sort of mirror image it in your head...which is ok for a seasoned knitter like me...but I could see a newbie having some difficulty with that...and then in this photo you can see that I chose to do a reverse knit on the three border stitches...meaning that I purl every row on those three stitches...as the pattern says "(includes 3 band sts in garter st)"...but doesn't tell you to do anything differently with those stitches...so I chose to purl them and I like the look of that subtle 'band'...
...another little plane/safety improvisation...instead of bringing scissors...I'm just using my nail clippers to snip my thread...
...so this is the back and one sleeve and front done...
...and folded over...the only seams will be under the arms...
...and then SOMEHOW...when I was transferring the stitches for the other side...I managed to BREAK my nylon circs...arghhhh...
...so I made the Man go here...and I do mean made...because he did NOT want to go...haha...
...and I got these beautiful green knitting needles for $1.25...I chose the plastic ones...they had metal ones which I would have liked better...but just in case I'm not finished with it before we fly home I chose the plastic ones...they're OK...
...and I was back in business...knitting the other side...
...not sure if I mentioned it before...but I'm only using two strands of the worsted weight yarn...I just split it apart...there are four strands...so it basically doubles my yardage...and I get a much filmier squishier finish for this pattern which is supposed to use kidsilk...which is listed as a lace?...whatever that ? means...but lace is 2 ply...
...here you can see the new 2 ply against the original 4 ply...anywhooo...I had already split 2 skeins before we left and I brought a spare because I wasn't sure how much I'd need...but I didn't want to go to the trouble of splitting it if I didn't need to...I'm all lazy like that...haha...
...just knitting along using my new plastic needles on the second side...
...and another travel improvisation...I didn't bring a ruler/measuring tape either...although it would have been allowed I'm sure...so I just used the ruler from the inside of the yarn skein tube...which only goes to 5 inches to pencil in 1/4 inch lines on an 11 inch sheet of paper...it worked!...
...second side is done...
...and folded over...a few ends woven in...
...I had brought my yarn needle tucked in an index card...TSA doesn't like to encounter anything sharp if they have to search your bag...and I wanted them to be safe from a prick...
...so I seamed it up...and added my pretty little buttons...I had put them in a baggie in my bathroom bag...
...I absolutely love how the little reverse garter stitch border turned out...and I don't think I'm even going to do the little picot edging...I like it so much plain like this...and I needn't have worried about the needles as I'm now finished with this project...and wishing that I'd brought another one...haha...

...what's in your workbasket this week!

~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. beautiful knitting and so happy you are seeing your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty and so complicated sounding to a non-knitter!! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I think i'll make one for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete