Friday, September 20, 2024

...9.20...Hallway Bathroom REVEAL...

...you can jump to the end if you don't want to see 50 or so pictures of the remodel...
...this was last Friday...dark primer on the cabinets...
...and laying out the Ditra...doing the dry fit first...
...at some point we put the first coat of black - Benjamin Moore Ebony...on the cabinet faces...
...the Man is painting the doors in the big room downstairs...
...cutting done...
...dry fit is 'pretty square'...
...setting the Ditra in mortar...
...starting and the back and working toward the door naturally...and rolling it down well with the rolling pin...

...you can tell by the darkness of the window that it's pitch black outside...and well past midnight at this point...
...but we soldiered on...because we're on a kind of tight schedule...mortaring in the Kurdee strips for water-tightness...
...folding the Kurdee to go along the tub and up the walls a little bit...
...so the rooms should be watertight and hold quite a bit of water above the floor...of course it would eventually flow out into the hallway...but it gives us a measure of time to find it before that happens...

Saturday morning...
...time to dry fit the tile and the cute little quarter round for around the tub...
...and the tile baseboard...
...just laying everything out and trying to keep it all square...
...we don't want wonky stripes...looking from the hallway to the back wall...
...then actually cutting the tiles...a little bit tricky as they are loosely attached to each other...
...and see that stip of white tiles against the wall...I "thought" I needed to cut a little black triangle to fill each one of those in...but spoiler alert...I did not need to do that...and it was a huge waste of time...arghhhh...
...because when I did the dry fit...it looked like you'd see the tip of the triangle poking out from under the baseboard...but with the mortar on the wall behind it...well...you'll see in a bit...
...but the dry fit looks good...
...no wonkiness...
...I didn't dry fit all of the little pieces...
...but you can see why I thought I needed them...
...normally I would have started setting the tile from the back wall out...but I was afraid that it would get crooked by the time I got back to the hallway door...
...so I started at the door and did just one strip back to the wall...and then tiled my way back out of the room...
...and even after I came through the doorway...thankfully everything is still lining up properly...
...so...Saturday evening the setting of the tile is complete and now we can't walk on it...and I'm pretty exhausted...

...and now it's Sunday afternoon...
...I washed all of the tile...just cleaning any mortar that happened to get onto the tile...
...because we needed to get into the room and do a few things before I did anymore tile work that would prevent us from walking on it...

...we set the countertop in place...
...and because the room is not quite square...I had to cut into the drywall a little bit to make it fit at the back...it will get caulked and covered with the backsplash...
...then we set in the sinks and got them plumbed...
...then it was time to set the baseboard and quarter round...you can't do it on the same day as you do the floor because you can't be on the just set tile...
...the baseboard tiles were pretty straightforward...but the quarter round around both the tub and under the cabinet were really tricky...
...as they have slanted backs and you have to get them pretty perfectly placed on the floor and against the tub or the cabinet...
...and there were some pretty intricate little cuts too...and that was the end of another pretty exhausting day...

...Monday...
...or Grout-day...
...just schmearing grout into all of the spaces...
...the next day...what day is it...oh yeah...Tuesday...I spent another few hours on my hands and knees wiping everything down to get all of the haze off...and we can walk on the tile...I can't seal it yet...you have to wait 48 hours for that job...so we put the doors back on the cabinets...
...and I caulked the coutertop and backsplash...
...then Wednesday...I did get down on my hands and knees for the final time and sealed the grout...and oh yeah...you have to wipe it down a couple of times after sealing too...
...and then I turned under the carpet at the doorway...and I'm super happy with it...I had brought the tile out to the center post of the door jamb just so I could turn under a half inch or so of the carpet...
...it's my first time doing this...and there used to be one of those metal strips for the transition...and I like this a lot better...
...then we hung some art deco wall art the Man found...
...and the washroom portion is finished...
...but you can see that the toilet is still not in place...
...but we had just a few more things before we were ready for that...we needed to install the new curved shower curtain rod...
...it was way easier than we expected...which hardly ever happens...
...and the new art deco shower curtain looks so nice...
...not sure I've shown you the light fixture...but it matches the ones in the washroom....
...time to set the toilet in place...and guess what...it's BLACK...
...and it was pretty painless...we've installed a lot of toilets in our time...haha...
...finally we put the door back in place...and it's got a cute little art deco sign too...
...and the final...final thing was to finish just the inside of the hallway door...and the little side facing into the room needs to match the room...so we needed to transition from white to black...and it's a little bit problematic as masking tape has not always been my friend in situations like this where it needs to protect the side/front of a cornered thing...

...so instead of applying the tape to the top/front of the door...I did a really small line...maybe 1/16th of an inch or less along the side I was painting black and then did all of my brush strokes from the tape down...
...and it worked perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the nice crisp edge...
...a little closeup...
...and the door is back in place...
...and it has a little art deco sign as well...
...both door knobs into the toilet room are this white porcelain...
...but the hallway door needs to match that on the bathroom side...but have the glass knobs that match the rest of the house on the hallway side...
...so that's it for this remodel...
~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. Love it and all the special touches!! Love the black back of the door with the white front. Lots of cool ideas. Great job, you two (as always!) Love, K

    ReplyDelete