Friday, March 12, 2021

...3.12...Friday Favorites...Freezer Paper Stencils...

...one of Our Girl's favorite things is Hey Bear...a sensory development YouTube channel for children...they have dance videos, counting videos, sleeptime videos...etc...and they're really neat...

...we were chatting with Our Airman...and wondering about Hey Bear merch...the videos are all free...so I searched for a Hey Bear t-shirt with the logo...and didn't find anything...there are lots of "Hey Bear!" Tees because that's something they teach wilderness hikers to shout when/if they see a bear...to scare them away...haha...

...so...of course...I set about making him a Hey Bear Tee...
...all you need is an image to transfer...some freezer paper...and an exacto knife...and a t-shirt...
...this one was a really simple design...
...I folded and pinned the center of the t-shirt...ask me why...haha...because I've actually gone to all the trouble to stencil a shirt that wasn't centered...so...lesson learned...
...and if your shirt is linty...like mine...run one of those sticky rollers over it...you don't want any lint in your paint...
...and then I just centered the stencil outline ...and ironed it in place...
...and then I put the cut out paper back in the speech bubble...just to make sure I got the placement of the HEY right...
...and I did the same for the little eyes and nose...
...removed the paper and ironed those in place...so now you should see a negative of the image...
...ready to paint...I just used a spouncer to get a good even coat of paint...
...it took two coats of white to cover the black sufficiently...let it dry until not sticky anymore...but don't leave it overnight or you may pull up some of the paint when you remove the paper...
...and then the most satisfying part of the project...when you pull off the paper to reveal a perfect crisp stencil...
...I'm really happy with how it turned out...and I actually did this back the middle of February...but the kiddos just got that first APO shipment this week...and I didn't want to post before Our Airman had it because I wanted it to be a little bit of a surprise...I'll ask him to take a picture of him wearing the shirt...I wonder what Our Girl will think of it...

...I've done this a few times before...haha...

Other Freezer Paper Stenciling Examples from the Blog:

Youth Group T-shirts
A Big Kid Halloween Costume Jail Coveralls
A Wisp Tee
A Pink WV tee
A KALE tee
and My personal favorite...A U.S. Air Force MOM tee

...have you ever done a Freezer Paper Stencil?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. you are so clever and talented. I bet you miss them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks...we really do miss them...so thankful for FaceTime...the (now with DST) 13 hour time difference is a 'bear' though...haha...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. That's super cute and very sharp looking! What a wonderful, customized gift! That AF Mom one is really excellent, too. I might have to try this myself. Seems like a fun crafty idea with rather endless possibilities. Very cool!

    We were taught the "Hey Bear!" thing while hiking with a park ranger in Glacier NP--though his method was a preventative thing, not a scare the bear away thing, exactly. He would give a booming "hey bear!" whenever there was an exceptionally big curve or incline in the path making a blind corner. He did it so as to not surprise a bear, hoping that if they hear us coming they'll want to avoid us and just clear out before we even lay eyes on them. Hadn't thought of that in a minute. He was really fun to hike with because he knew so much about the birds and plants there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is more than awesome! Wish i had half of your talent! Bravo!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete