Monday, March 15, 2021

...3.15...Over the Weekend...

...today is the Ides of March...the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated...we used to make a big deal of the day...way back when I was teaching Latin in a public school...we usually reinacted the assassination...and spent the day "settling debts"...i.e., catching up on any missed assignments and taking any missed quizzes...etc...I have fond memories of the day...

...initially the Ides was just the first full moon of the month, which usually fell between the 13th and 15th...and...the Ides of March once signified the new year (Caesar changed that to January) which meant celebrations and rejoicing...but you probably know the saying (from Shakespeare) "Beware the Ides of March"...the soothsayer's warning to Caesar...

...anywhoo...enough history...on to the weekend...
...first...we had vegan waffles for breakfast...when we went to bed Friday night...the idea popped into my head...so I got up Saturday morning and followed through with it...haha...they were yummy...we're going to try to replicate the original Newly Re-Named pancake recipe...
...this is the original recipe...we're just trying to get the proportions right as they are not listed...
...I made some progress on the second Shamrock St. Patrick's Day sock...hoping to finish by Wednesday (obviously)...we'll see...
...I did the weekly shop...of course...
...of note...we got the tofu this week..but we did not get almond milk...I still have almonds in the freezer...so I'm ok with that...but just really not sure what's up...I don't think the store is 'really' out of almond milk...and we also did not get charcoal...again...do they really not have any charcoal...I've not been inside the store in months...so I have no way of knowing...
...on to other food related items...we cooked a pot of pinto beans...using the slow cooker feature of the InstantPot...I couldnt really tell any difference...but the Man wanted to see if they were better...haha...
...a package arrived...and of course Jack-Jack has to check it out...
...can you tell he's lost a lot of weight...and he acts a lot more like his puppy-self...

...these are replacement sheets for the ones that I patched a while ago...the patch is actually still good...the new tear is on the other half...but I thought it was probably time for the old fitted sheet to go in the rag bin...and get a new set...and I'm looking forward to getting these washed an on the bed...nothing like crisp clean sheets right?...
...in the non-food related category...I was looking for something in the fabric stash...and came across this pattern...it's from a really long time ago...there are lots of posts about the apron...

Nanny's Apron (the one I copied for this pattern)
How I made the pattern
The prototype (which I gave away on The Vegan Version)
...and a little tutorial of how I turn the thin tubes that are the ties to the apron...
...this red gingham one was already cut out...
...so I dropped what I was doing...and sat down at my sewing machine and sewed it up...no time like the present...right...

...and apparently I had either not cut TWO of the ties...or they've gotten lost/misplaced...so I just cut two new ones from some white material in the stash...
...I didn't really 'need' a new apron...but I'm happy to have it and use it...I wear an apron most days...so it's nice to have a new one in the rotation...I love the cheery checked pattern...
...back to the food...haha...the Man wanted a Guinness cake...funny that that post was from St. Patrick's Day two years ago...
...it turned out perfectly...and I also made some vegan cream cheese icing for it...I prefer it plain ...but the Man likes it iced...
...and while the oven was on...I mixed up some bread using an old bread machine recipe...I guess because it's made entirely in a bread machine it's a very sticky dough...difficult to knead by hand...
...but it rose up nicely...
...and baked up perfectly...
...I love freshly baked bread...
...I always eat the 'heel' right when it comes out of the oven...it's so delicious...
...and finally...they came back and worked on the trees some more...they've now finished the two that will be staying...sadly the two to the left are going to have to come down...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

6 comments:

  1. My goodness that was a busy weekend! Love the little apron, so sweet and homey. Bummer about the trees that have to come down - that will make your back yard quite sunny, I would assume. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered new sheets for our bed, they arrived on Saturday, I chose an elephant print. I am not sure at all about the odd shortages at the store. The main item I notice is old fashioned oats, sometimes at Walmart they have NO old fashioned oats in any brand, just a large empty space on the shelf and plenty of cartons of quick oats. And it has happened at other stores too on several occasions. Last month I could not find canned black eyed peas or dried black eyed peas anywhere. I finally located a large bag of dried black eyed peas at the Asian grocery. I googled black eyed pea shortage and found out that the bean crops were lower than usual last year due to drought. Not sure what the deal is with the charcoal.

    The socks are very cute,

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
  3. your bread and cake look so good!
    and your apron is just like one my mom has! very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth!...there's something so nice and home-y about having a new apron...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. now I want waffles... stores are weird here when they run out of random stuff, it happens lest often but when it does I get annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      ...I agree and it does seem pretty random..the most annoying thing is definitely the Almond Milk...haha...I think I'm going to try putting TP in the cart this week...just to see if we get any...we still have about 22 rolls of the big box we bought last May...and 4 of the rolls of Paper Towels...so maybe I'll try for some paper towels too...I've not heard that there's still a shortage...and we did get dish soap and trash bags which were short earlier...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete