Monday, May 10, 2021

...5.10...Bride Doll Project...Day FOUR...

...I guess all little girls have some idea of what they want their wedding gown to be like...well I had ideas about all of it...and one of the things I wanted were stockings...not sure why I had some weird romantic notion about stocking tops...you know...with a garter...instead of pantyhose...which is all I had ever worn...until my wedding day that is...and the funny thing is that the Man never even saw my stockings as we dressed to leave for the honeymoon in separate rooms...oh well...

...oh...and I was also DEE-tər-mˈa͡ɪnd (determined - only pronounced that way in my small familial group because of the way I pronounced it once when I was reading aloud when I was about 8 years old...and my siblings laughed at me)...that my stockings be white...so Mom and I went shopping for white stockings on the Friday before my wedding...which was also my university graduation day...so we were a little pushed for time...and guess what...NOONE had any white stockings...someone at the mall probably had them...but we didn not have time for that...Roses...nada...Belk's...nada...Sky City...nada...and then we went into a little pharmacy in town...and they actually had a box of nurse's support stocking that were white...they were quite opaque and you know 'support'...not the pretty dainty silky things I had imagined...and they had some sort of red writing on the top band...so...in the end we did not buy them and I settled for flesh coloured stockings...and still...as far as I know...no one ever even saw them...haha...

...and I was just as DEE-tər-mˈa͡ɪnd...that I would not wear one of the fake blue (usually satin and lace) garters that were common at weddings of the time...they were only worn on one leg (as far as I know - if there were two you only ever saw one)...the Bridegroom often removed it with his teeth...and then tossed it (like the bouquet) except to the males at the wedding...that just seemed really strange to me...and I did not want to follow that tradition...but if you did that at your wedding...I'm not hating on it...it just wasn't for me...
...so...for dolly...I cut off a pair of regular flesh coloured pantyhose...and pinned it around her leg...
...trimmed that close to the pins...
...stitched all around with a small zig-zag stitch...turned under the top and zig-zag stitched that as well...
...then turned them right side out...
...et voilà...a pair of nude stockings...
...these have a seam up the back...of course...and mine did not...mine were just regular old timey stockings...

...now we need a garter...haha...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. That's adorable! The stockings turned out great, amazing that you can sew such small stuff. I'd have to put my reading glasses on for sure! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...I just have to sew really really slowly...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  2. she is styling!! I think she is getting ready for her big fluffy dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen,
    ...I'm having a lot of fun with this little project...I think I may have missed my calling...I should just play with dolls full time...haha...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete